Reservation requested for all field trips.
We Make Learning Fun…
Thinking about a field trip idea? When it comes to getting kids excited about learning, nothing says “teach me” better than ice cream. Just ask the thousands of school children who have toured the Velvet Ice Cream plant and Ye Olde Mill over the years. Our tours our educational, memorable and most of all, fun!
All students taking a tour will receive free ice cream. Lunch is available in our restaurant and can be customized to your needs or take advantage of our shelter houses for students who bring their lunch. A reservation is required for all field trips. Please contact us or call 1-800-589-5000.
What the Children Will See and Learn:
- History of Ice Cream
- How manufacturing equipment has evolved
- Function of production and assembly lines
- Process involved in the manufacturing of ice cream
- A look at our high tech, computerized freezer system
- Role of sanitation and pasteurization
- Importance of homogenization
- Importance of making healthy choices in their diet
- History of Milling
- Connection to the Northwest Territory
- Look at various artifacts used in grinding wheat and corn into flour
- Experience a site of the Underground Railroad
The 30-minute tour can be adjusted to fit any age group. It includes a ten-minute film and guided tour of the viewing gallery, Ye Olde Mill and a self-guided tour of the museum of ice cream and milling.